Table of Contents
1.0 - Text Effects
Whilst playing RuneScape, you may notice people using special "chat effects" to attract attention to themselves. They can be used in a variety of situations, to express joy, sadness, or as thanks or congratulations. They are very useful to attract attention to what you're trying to say, in the marketplace, at drop parties, or at various other occasions.
Below is a list of the colours and effects available to you in game:
- » cyan:text
- » green:text
- » purple:text
- » red:text
- » white:text
- » yellow:text
Outcome: The text following the colon will take on the colour you typed. This effect can also be used with Progressive Effects.
- » glow1:text
- » glow2:text
- » glow3:text
- » flash1:text
- » flash2:text
- » flash3:text
Outcome: The text will glow, or flash different colours, depending what number effect you used. Each numbered effect has three preset colours designated to them. They will glow or flash those colours through the duration. This effect can also be used with Progressive Effects.
- » scroll:text
- » shake:text
- » slide:text
- » wave:text
- » wave2:text
Outcome: Each of the above has a unique effect. To apply this with a colour, you must type the colour first, then this effect. A few examples are listed below.
- » green:scroll:text
- » glow2:shake:text
- » flash3:slide:text
- » red:wave2:text
Outcome: These are just some combinations of some effects listed above. Always remember, the colour goes before the progressive effect!
2.0 - Accented Characters
For anyone who can speak another language, you might know that there are accented characters that the regular English language doesn't use very often. Jagex has kindly allowed its users to use several of these accent markers so they can type in foreign languages with more emphasis. To be able to do this if you only have a regular keyboard, you will need to set it up to be able to use these accented characters. The following instructions are for Windows XP users, other operating systems may be a bit different to set it up.
- First of all, go into your control panel and select Regional and Language Options (Picture).
- Select the Languages tab and click the details button (Picture).
- Click the Add button (Picture).
- Change the Keyboard layout/IME to US-International (Picture).
- Click Ok, then click Apply.
- Highlight United States-International and click on Key Settings (Picture).
- Select 'Switch to English (United States) - United States - International' then click 'Change Key Sequence' (Picture).
- Select the "Enable Key Sequence" option and choose a hotkey combination to use for switching to the international keyboard (Picture).
- Click 'Okay' three times to finish setting it up.
- You may need to restart your computer to activate the international keyboard now.
Now once you have it properly set up and you have chosen to be on international, press the following to get the accented characters.
' then letter (é)
` then letter (è)
" then letter (ë)
ˆ then letter (ê)
˜ then letter (ñ)
3.0 - RuneScape Vernacular
- » l337 - Leet; that is: "Elite". 1337speak is an online/SMS-type language, predominantly using numbers to create letters, and words.
- » 1v1 - One versus one.
- » 2h - Two handed sword.
- » Abby - "Abyssal demon"
- » Addy - Short for Adam[ant[ite]]
- » Acc - Short for Account
- » AFC - Away from Computer. This replaces AFK.
- » AFAIK - As Far As I Know
- » AFK - Acronym for 'Away From Keyboard'. It's often used when people are training on monsters that Auto-attack.
- » AKA - Also Known As
- » Alch - Alchemy, normally level 55 High Level Alchemy.
- » Ammy - Amulet, as in 'Ruby Ammy.'
- » Andrew Gower - Creator of RuneScape.
- » An1 - Anyone
- » Ardy - Short for the city of Ardougne.
- » Asap - As soon as possible
- » Att/Atk/Atc - Attack, as in 'atk potion', 'I have 99 att',or 'go atk him'!
- » Atm - Short for 'At The Moment'
- » Auto-attack - Some NPC's automatically attack you, if your combat level isn't greater than twice theirs.
- » Auto-miner - Illegal cheating application that uses macro's to mine.
- These files often contain viruses anyways, and players caught using an auto-bot are banned.
- » Autoer - A player using a program which uses macros to do certain tasks in RuneScape. These are illegal.
- » B - "Be"
- » B-axe - Slang for "Battle Axe."
- » B Bone - Big Bone
- » B7 - Slang for "ban."
- » B4 - Before
- » Barb - Slang for "Barbarian Village."
- » Bf - Boyfriend Or Best Friend
- » Brb - Acronym for "be right back."
- » Bbl - Acronym for "be back later."
- » Bbs - Acronym for "be back soon."
- » Brt - Acronym for "be right there."
- » Btw - Acronym for "By the way"
- » Bs - "Back-stab", "Bullsh**" or Slang for "Bow String(s)."
- » B-sale - "Bank sale"
- » Cammy - Camelot
- » Camo - Camouflage
- » Calc - Calculator or "To Calc", a verb
- » Cb/Cmb - Combat
- » Cba - "Can't be aroused"
- » Cbb - "Can't be bothered"
- » Choob - A name for a high-leveled player who asks a lot of questions. Also another form of 'noob'.
- » Chain - Chainmail, a kind of armor
- » Char - Character, usually means "Account"
- » Combat [level] - Referring to the stat located on top of the combat style menu, in red. This can be anywhere from 3 to 126.
- » Ctrl - Control
- » Cu - See you
- » CW - Acronym for "Castle Wars"
- » c - 'See'.
- » Cya - 'See you'.
- » D-- - Usually used to signify "dragon" items. Eg. D med.
- » Dd - Death Dot, a Wildernes term
- » D2h - Dragon Two-hander
- » Dag[s] - Short for dagger or Dagannoth.
- » Drag - Short for Dragon- OR - to run East or West from an opponent, in an attempt to not be killed. This usually happens in Clan events.
- » Def - Short for defence.
- » DIY - Do it yourself
- » DM - 'Deathmatch', 'Death March'.
- » Dts - Don't Think So
- » Dunno - Don't Know
- » DW - 'Don't worry'.
- » Ea - "Each", a marketing term.
- » Edg[y] - Edgeville.
- » Ello - Dwarven slang for the word 'Hello'.
- » Emmy - Emerald.
- » Emote - Emotion or Emoticon.
- » Ess - Rune Essence, which is used to make runes.
- » Exp - Experience.
- » Fal[ly] - Falador.
- » FAQ - Frequetly Asked Questions.
- » Farcasting - Ranging/maging from a distance.
- » FC - Fire Cape.
- » Ffs - For Fu** Sake
- » Fgs - Short for a Fire Giant (level-86).
- » FL - Friends List.
- » Fm - Firemaking.
- » Fmod - Forum Mod on the official RuneScape forums (green posts)
- » Fremmy - Fremennik.
- » Ftl - For The Lose.
- » Ftw - For The Win.
- » FYI - For Your Information.
- » Full .... - When used with a metal type, it means the Kiteshield, Full Helm, Platebody, and Platelegs.
- » G2g - "Got to go."
- » Gf - "Good fight."
- » Gj - "Good job."
- » Gtg - "Gotta go."
- » GP - Coins used to be called "gold pieces." The term GP carried over to RuneScape II.
- » Gratz - Congratulations.
- » Guth - Guthans; Barrows armour.
- » Guth - Guthix; a RuneScape God.
- » Hal[ly] - Halberd.
- » Hax[xor[ed]] - Hack, Hacked, or Hacker. This is when all your items are stolen and sometimes your character as well.
- » Helm - Helmet.
- » Hob[gob] - Hobgoblin.
- » HP - "Hits" or "hit points."
- » Iban - A crazy guy who thinks he's Zamorak's son.
- » IOU - I owe you.
- » IMG - Image.
- » IMO - "In my opinion."
- » IMHO - "In my humble opinion."
- » IRL - In real life.
- » Jagex - The creators of the game RuneScape.
- » J00 - Another word for "you."
- » J[-]Mod - A Jagex moderator. These have gold crowns by their name in the chat window.
- » Jk - Just Kidding
- » Jw - Just Wondering
- » K - Substitutes 000 in numbers: 6,000 coins is 6k.
- » kk - Okay.
- » KBD - King black dragon.
- » Kl - Another word for "cool."
- » Kul - Another word for "cool."
- » Kool - Another word for "cool."
- » L or LL - Laugh.
- » L8r - Later.
- » Lmao - Laughing my a$$ off.
- » Lob[by] - Short for Lobster.
- » Lol - "Laugh[ing] out loud," "lots of laughs."
- » Ltb - "Looking to Buy"
- » L[a]rg - Large helmet; now called full helms.
- » Lum[my]b[y] - Short for Lumbridge.
- » Lvl - Short for Level.
- » M[il] - Million, in an item: 6,000,000 is 6M[il].
- » M8 - "Mate" (Friend).
- » Mage - One who practices the skill magic.
- » ME1 - Mourning's Ends Part 1
- » ME2 - Mourning's Ends Part 2
- » Med - Medium Helmet
- » Mith - Mithril items.
- » MM - Monkey Madness.
- » Mod - Moderator from Jagex staff.
- » Mossy - Moss Giant.
- » Nfs - Not for sale.
- » Nm - Nothing/Not much.
- » Noob - Slightly offensive term for a new player.
- » Np - "No problem."
- » NPC - 'Non player character'. This refers to any monster, shopkeeper, etc.
- » Nrn - "Not right now"
- » Nty - "No thank you"
- » Nwm - "No way mate/man"
- » Nvm - Nevermind.
- » OM[F]G - "Oh my [Freaking/Fu**ing] God."
- » P-Mod - Hand-picked loyal RuneScape players to help people follow the rules (Player Moderator).
- » Paul Gower - Andrew's brother and co-creator of RuneScape.
- » Pb - One who has high Prayer, usually for Player-Killing.
- » Phat - Party Hat.
- » PJ - Pile Jack[er]. To attack somebody after they have killed somebody to take their loot.
- » PK - Person Kill[er].
- » Pl8 - Platebody.
- » Plz/Pls/Pl0x/Plx/Plox - Please.
- » PM - Private/Personal Message.
- » PM[F]G - "OH MY GOD!!" Like OM[F]G, but more enthusiastic.
- » Pot - Potion, as in Strength Potion.
- » PB - Prayer beast, a player with high prayer for his/her combat level.
- » QP - Quest points, gained upon completion of quests.
- » QTF - PKer slang for WTF.
- » r - "are."
- » R -- - Used to signify "rune" items. Eg. R2h
- » Rc - Runecrafting.
- » Rofl - "Rolling on floor laughing."
- » Roflmao - "Rolling on floor laughing my a$$ off."
- » RFD -Recipe for Disaster
- » Rl - Real life.
- » RS - Short for RuneScape.
- » RS-C - RuneScape Classic.
- » RV - RuneVillage; a RuneScape help site.
- » Safer - To eat with a lot of Hitpoints to greatly reduce the chance of getting "KO'ed".
- » Saph/Saff - Sapphire.
- » Sara - Saradomin, a RuneScape God.
- » Scimmy/Skimmy/Scim - Short for a Scimitar.
- » Seers - Seers' Village.
- » Sp(?) - 'Special' or 'Spelling?'.
- » Spatk/Spec - 'Special attack' - some members weapons.
- » Sq - Square shield.
- » Sry - Sorry.
- » SS - Short for "Swift-Switch." A RuneScape client, hosted by RuneScape Help.
- » SSP - Short for super strength potion.
- » SAP - Short for super attack potion.
- » SDP - Short for super defence potion.
- » Stake - A duel in which both opponents offer an item.
- » Str - Short for strength.
- » Str Pot - Strength Potion.
- » Swordy - Short for Swordfish.
- » Tally - Talisman.
- » Tank - Tank mage, a person who has high magic and defense.
- » Tb - Teleblock
- » Tbh - To Be Honest. Often overused.
- » Tele - Teleport.
- » Tipper - A RuneScape help site
- » Tmr - Short for tomorrow.
- » Ttyl - "Talk to you later."
- » Ty - "Thank you."
- » Tyvm - "Thank you very much."
- » u - "You"
- » ur - You're/You are.
- » Vambs/Vamps - Short for Vambraces.
- » Varr - Varrock.
- » Vm - "Very much."
- » Wc - Woodcutting.
- » Wb - Welcome back.
- » Wtf - "What the fu**."
- » Wdf - Slang for wtf; "What da fu**."
- » Wild[y] - The Wilderness, north of the Misthalin and Asgarnia. Players can fight each other here.
- » Woot[age] - Expressing extreme joy/satisfaction
- » Wp - Wrong person.
- » wtb - 'Willing to Buy'
- » Wtfhax - Another slang for wtf.
- » Wtfbbq - Another slang for wtf.
- » Wuu2 - An acronym for What are you up to? (What u up 2).
- » XP - Short for experience
- » XD - Laughing very hard; a happy emote. In RuneScape, people might use "X.D" or "X[)" to make them both capital.
- » y - "Why?"
- » Yw - "You're welcome."
- » Zammy - Zamorak; a RuneScape God.
- » Zaros - A mysterious god from ancient times.
- » Zybez - This RuneScape Help site.
4.0 - 1337speak
1337speak is largely used online, but is also used when SMS'ing, and sometimes, recently, in titling new television series. It utilizes numbers and keyboard symbols to create letter, and words. Below is a brief outline of what letters can be substituted by what form of 1337speak.
- » A = / or 4
- » B = l3
- » C = (
- » D = l)
- » E = 3
- » F = |=
- » G = 6 (g = 9)
- » H = l-l
- » I = 1
- » J = _|
- » K = l<
- » L = |_
- » M = |V|
- » N = |V
- » O = 0
- » P = |D
- » Q = 0_
- » R = |2
- » S = 5
- » T = ''|'' or 7
- » U = |_|
- » V = /
- » W = //
- » X = ><
- » Y = Not Applicable
- » Z = 2
Note: The letters marked Not Applicable can only be written normally. There is no 1337speak conversion for them.
1 (/ll 5|D3/l< |_33''|'' » I can speak leet.