Table of Contents
1.0 - Introduction
The Dwarven Multi-Cannon is the most powerful ranging device in the game. It is unique in that it has no skill level requirements for use. While normal range training gives 4 ranged experience per point of damage done, the cannon will only give you 2 points. Additionally, it does not give you any hitpoint experience. The Dwarven Multi-Cannon may be used after the completion of the Dwarf Cannon quest.
1.1 - Requirements
There are only 2 requirements. These are:
- You must complete a simple quest called the Dwarf Cannon quest. It is basically a "follow the captain's orders" quest. You walk back and forth between the base and Falador.
- You must have sufficient funds to purchase the cannon.
1.2 - Restrictions
There are several places where you cannot use your cannon. These are:
- Any Minigame
- The Slayer tower near Canifis.
- The King Black Dragon's lair. You "can" set it up here, but he will destroy it.
- The Kalphite Queen's lair.
- In Castle Wars arena.
- Against players in the Wilderness.
- Slayer Cave East of Rellekka.
- In the TzHaar City (including the Fight Cave and Pits).
- Pest Control Mini Game
- Pyramid Plunder
- Warrior Guild
- In the wilderness near the Chaos Elemental
- Killawatt spawn locations
- Canifis Pub
- Pyramid in Desert Treasure
- Dagganoth Kings Lair
- Duel Arena
- Dream Plane from Dream Mentor quest
- Ice Mountain
- Varrock Museum
- Sea Troll area in Swan Song quest.
1.3 - How high can I hit?
No matter what your range, strength, attack or any other level you have is, you will hit randomly from 0-30; this makes the cannon one of the most useful and powerful items in the game.
2.0 - Obtaining a cannon
The cannon consists of those 4 parts which you can buy all together or separately.
There are two ways to obtain a cannon.
1. You can go buy one from the Dwarven engineer, Nulodion. To buy a cannon from Nulodion, you will need to go to the Dwarven mine (north of Falador and just south of Ice Mountain). There is a small room to the west of the mine entrance where you can talk to Nulodion to get your cannon materials. The cannon consists of 4 parts: the cannon base; the cannon stand; the cannon barrel and the cannon furnace. Each of these parts may be purchased for either 200k each or 750k for the complete cannon. Here is a picture of his store where you can buy the materials and parts separately:
2. You can purchase one from another player. While the cannon costs 750,000gp from Nulodion, the street price can be much cheaper.
3.0 - Basic Use
The Cannon is carried around disassembled and must be reassembled before use. Here is a step by step list of what you must do to set up and fire your cannon:
- Set the base of the cannon down
- Use the cannon stand with the base
- Use the cannon barrels with the base
- Use the cannon furnace with the base
Once you have your cannon set up, you have just a couple more steps to unleash its power:
- Use cannon balls with Dwarven multi cannon
- Fire your cannon
The cannon can hold 30 cannon balls at a time. You can reload it at any time and it will continue to fire. If you let it use all 30 balls, you must repeat the last two steps.
Once you are done firing, you just need to pick up the cannon. Any unfired cannonballs are returned to your inventory. Please note that you need four empty inventory slots for the cannon parts.
4.0 - Cannonballs
To make effective use of your cannon, you will need plenty of cannonballs.
There are 3 main options to get your cannonballs:
- You can make these yourself.
- Have a friend who desires smithing experience make the balls for you. You provide him the bars. He makes the balls and gives them to you.
- You can purchase the cannonballs. These vary in price depending on the market.
Note: Cannonballs require level 35 smithing and are made at a furnace, not using an anvil. Use a steel bar with the furnace while you have the cannonball mould in your inventory. Each steel bar will produce 4 cannon balls. As with smelting your ores, you have the option to "make x".
5.0 - Where to use your cannon.
Depending on how you intend on using your cannon, there are several excellent spots. As mentioned, it can be used in both multi- and non-multi combat areas:
- Rock Crabs in the north-east corner of Rellekka are an excellent place for lower level use of a cannon. This area is also multi-combat and the rock crabs are aggressive. The drops are not overly exciting, but you will get the occasional level 1 clue scroll.
- Any other multi-combat area or area with lots of enemies. In a multi-combat area, your will shoot every enemy in sight and can cause a incredible amount of damage within a short period of time.
- The waterfall dungeon against the fire giants. This is a great spot, your cannon easily snags the giants and then the giants drop very nice loot. The only downfall is everyone will hate you for getting so many fire giants.
- Dagannoth. Dagannoth are situated in the lighthouse, west of Rellekka
. The Horror from the Deep
quest is obligatory for you to able to fight these monsters, having 60 plus defence is also recommended. They are located in a multi-combat zone, thus they are a very convenient monster to train on.
- Black demons in the Taverley Dungeon. This is a great spot, now there are so many demons and your cannon will quickly take care of all of them in your general area. The only downfall is that you might not have enough cannon balls and you'll have to keep reloading and doing that fast!
- Lesser demons in the Karamja volcano. This is a good spot, it is sometimes hard to grab a lesser but the cannon makes the job easy.
5.1 - Cannons and Slayer tasks.
Your cannon can be a very effective tool to assist you in rapidly completing your slayer tasks and therefore more quickly leveling your slayer skill. It can be used for any task where cannon use is not restricted. Two of the best slayer tasks for a cannon are Dagannoths and Kalphites. However, it is still useful for non-multi combat monsters. Typically, the time to complete your task will be cut in at least half.
6.0 - Warranty
There is a warranty on the cannon so if certain things happen to it you can get it replaced. Here is a list of possible things that could happen, including if they are covered by the warranty:
- Setting up the cannon and going back to get a new one - Yes, your warranty covers this. Your old cannon cannot be taken by anyone and it will disappear eventually.
- Decaying or rusting - Yes, your warranty covers this. This happens about every 400 cannonballs used. Your cannon will disappear, but don't panic! This happens once in a while and the cannon will be replaced for free.
- Setting it up, forgetting about it, then logging out - Yes, if you forget to pick up your cannon, you're fine.
- Trading it away - No, your warranty does not cover this. If this could happen everyone would have a cannon and they would be worthless.
Just be careful with your cannon and you should be fine.